300 pounds of pot seized after crash

SIERRA VISTA — Two undocumented immigrants were apprehended by U.S. Border Patrol agents south of Sierra Vista after crashing a rental vehicle loaded with 300 pounds of marijuana.

The incident occurred shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday on Highway 92 at Kings Ranch Road in Palominas, according to the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office.

Two unidentified men in four door sedan failed to yield to Border Patrol agents, finally crashing the vehicle on Kings Ranch Road.

The men fled the scene in the direction of a woman on the side of the road who was checking her mail at the time, said Carol Capas, spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office. As the men approached, the woman, fearing they would attempt to steal her vehicle, removed her handgun from her vehicle and pointed it in their direction, resulting in the men running in another direction.

The men were soon apprehended by Border Patrol agents.

The vehicle involved in the crash, a rental, was later reported stolen by a woman on Keeling Road in Hereford, Capas said.

Sumtingwong on Wed, 01/16/2013 - 6:35pm

Get real, PC Jordan. Undocumented immigrants? Your begining to sound like
Shacat. Smart woman, if they continued, she could have saved the court system
a lot of money.

ldsmith on Thu, 01/17/2013 - 7:14am

Good for the woman with the gun!! She acted smart and defended herself and
her property.

dogmaah on Thu, 01/17/2013 - 8:02am

I agree with Sumting; these two thugs don’t sound like “undocumented
immigrants.” They sound like drug smugglers! An “undocumented immigrant”
would not want to commit a crime that places attention on his immigration
status. A drug smuggler wouldn’t give a rat’s behind about that. I’m glad the
woman who saw these two thugs running her way was armed and prepared to use
her gun on them. This story could have had a much different ending otherwise.
Good job to the USBP agents as well.

Incadove93 on Thu, 01/17/2013 - 8:31am

Kudos to BP for getting these guys - and also to the woman who was able to
protect herself and her property!!

azlandman on Thu, 01/17/2013 - 4:46pm

Something a little funny about this story. The north bound drug load was in a
car reported stolen from just a few miles north of were it was recovered?

Sumtingwong on Fri, 01/18/2013 - 9:00am

Keeling Rd is more than a few miles north.

ted-pen on Fri, 01/18/2013 - 11:42am

I wish this good-news story could get some national coverage

Just The Three of Us on Fri, 01/18/2013 - 1:21pm

Oh, look. Someone who properly defended herself from imminent harm. To listen
to some comments on other stories in the Herald and the news media, I thought
that could never happened. It’s sad to think if such people have their way,
the woman’s story would have ended much differently. (To the woman, sorry you
had to be subjected to that, but so glad you were able to defend yourself.)

marciensv on Mon, 01/21/2013 - 1:54pm

Just Three, I wonder how many bullets were in her hand gun? Chances are she
was able to protect herself with less then 10+ bullets.

Personal Respon... on Wed, 01/23/2013 - 12:25am

Marcie, yes, in this instance you are correct, she probably only would need 3
rounds. But I would rather have and not need, than need and not have. I am
sure that if you were in her circumstance, you would see how many people were
there and then pause to unload your magazine so you only had the 3 rounds. A
friend has a Toyota that has 18 cup holders. We joke that he may never NEED
18 cup holders, but if he ever does, he HAS them. I would rather go into a
situation with as much ammo as possible. Better to have, than to have not. I
like my 30 round magazines (not clips)

marciensv on Wed, 01/23/2013 - 10:53am

And if you are able to get 30 round magazine. So can others. The point is NOT
everyone who even owns a gun should. Besides the people with mental
disorders. Like it or not PTSD is a form of a disorder. I know people
collecting VA disability benefits. And they have guns. They should get better
get off the disability. And then get a gun. You have people with anger.
Adults who are not mature/responsible. And others too weak or aged to handle
one properly. Back to you having 30 bullets. You might be sane. You might be
a responsible gun owner. But those same 30 round magazines can also be bought
by people who are not. Like anything the well pay the price for those who are
not. I asked this on another thread. And no one gave an answer. Change has to
be made for public safety. I agree with the magazine size and banning certain
weapons. Where would you start?

Walt on Wed, 01/23/2013 - 5:32pm

“Where would you start?” How about a Schindler’s list, Marcie?

Rancher on Wed, 01/23/2013 - 8:54pm

Marcie: “I agree with the magazine size and banning certain weapons. Where would you start?”

I disagree with you, and since you don’t seem to have a clue, I will not respond to your arrogance, did you get fired from post?

Perhaps we should make sure you can’t buy any weapons, you sound like you have an axe to grind.

Rancher