Ranks of the hungry grow at St. Vincent de Paul

Gallery ImageGallery Image

(CLICK on photo above, to see even more photos from this story)

SIERRA VISTA — The number of local hungry people is growing.

And the main local food bank in Sierra Vista, operated by the St. Vincent de Paul Society, is seeing an increase in the number of  people who show up for food  boxes.

There has been a 21 percent increase in the past year,” said food bank volunteer Bob McIntosh.

This Saturday the food bank and the local Elks Lodge 2065 are holding a “Stuff the St. Vincent de Paul Society Food Bank Trailer.”

Lodge officer  Bob Conte said his wife, Sue,  and Shirley Dixon, are heading the special project.

kyb4725 on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 9:46pm

both of these organizations do wonderful jobs of helping the poor, this
suggestion goes out to the others tha ignore the problrm. get some vouchers
for local storeslike safewat and food city, vouchers for MEAT, macaronie and
cheese gets real tiering after a whie some meat should be on every plate,
maybe forget the flavored socalled energy drinks slow down on the greens
some, people who need to look for work should have the stuff they need to
clean up and clean clothes. im not cutting anybody down but it’s hard to go
to an interview when ya know you look like a bum. been in that boat all of my
 life.

ashlyterrell on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 2:56am

That is definitey not good. The number of hungry people is rising means that
people are not able to afford basic necessities even. The community is doing
an appreciative work in the benefit of humanity. May Lord bless them in
coming times.

crazydoglady on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 6:20am

Watch the stores this weeks for the BOGOs, look for tuna, soups w/lot of
Chicken or Beef, canned Chili or other w/BEANS, etc. Lots of nonperishables
high protein items can be found in cans or dehydrated. Toss a couple of these
in the cart this week; if you are lucky enough to have a paycheck, I promise
you won’t even notice it, and it will help someone who is down on their luck.
I have been there; husband deployed, his pay just covered living expenses.
Had 2 young kids, and I was working, but then one month my paycheck got lost
in mail(back in the day when checks were mailed - it took a trip to Montana
or someplace!)So there I was for a couple weeks w/no money to buy food! Yes,
even responsible people have runs of bad luck. With the help of food bank,
neighbors donating dog food and paper products (TP!), we made it through.
This was 1983, but I’ve never forgotten that, and learned not to judge others
in a rough spot. After all, we ARE a Christian country, let’s show it.

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 12:25pm

Does anyone know what the evaluation criteria is to get free food? I am
curious if there is any checking of information to see if anyone is trying to
scam the system or if illegals are draining this resource.

Sumtingwong on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 7:22pm
Title: I Know

Show up with in your Cadilac, park it at least a block away, don’t wear your
Armani suits, or designer dresses, give them a sob story, bingo, free food. I
have seen it in a large city, for the commodities, such as the good cheese
they distrubute. And that is good cheese!

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 8:49pm

It melts like butter and you don’t need to keep it in a refrigerator.

Cassandra on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 8:51pm

Why were you haunting food distribution centers, checking out footwear and following people a block back to their Cadillacs in some unnamed "large city?" Were you a private dick like Mike Hammer back in the day? Did you ever try yelling, "Hey, that’s nacho cheese!" just to see what would happen?

Or is your story as much a fiction as Ronald Reagan’s "Welfare Queen?"

If you and Knight Rider don’t approve of the distribution practices of the Society of St Vincent de Paul, don’t donate to them. Otherwise, it’s really none of your concern.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 7:28am

I didn’t say I didn’t approve of their system, I clearly asked if anyone
knew about their evaluation criteria. If you aren’t going to read and
comprehend what I am asking maybe you shouldn’t concern yourself with
 replying.

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 7:50pm

Cassandra, don’t assume, I wasn’t patroling, was giving a low income
neighbor, who had two kids, a ride to get her commodities. The city is mute,
it happens in all cities.

Cassandra on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 10:15pm

Hey, ‘twas you who expressed the anxiety that someone might be "trying to scam the system."

So, the question remains, if you don’t support that particular charity, what’s it to ya?

Cassandra on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 10:23pm

So, you were driving her Cadillac then, so she didn’t have to park a block away. Still, I do like, "The city is mute; it happens in all cities," because that really does sound like Mickey Spillane (no offense intended by the corrective semicolon)

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 7:28am

I guess my question wasn’t clear enough or you just have to be heard to
make yourself feel good. If you don’t know what their evaluation criteria
is then you are of little help to me. I have no anxiety to it, I just know
many social services are abused so I asked the community if they knew how
they evaluated the people that were getting food. It is pretty simple, for
everyone else anyway.

Just The Three of Us on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 10:49am

I would like to know the answer to that, too. Does anyone get to walk in and
get food, or just those who are truly needy. Is it restricted to those who
are on hard times through no fault of their own, or can you just be a
perpetual bum who wants to live off the hard work of others? And I’ll tell
you ‘what it is to me.’ The sole purpose of this article is to solicit
money/food from ME. When someone asks me to hand over my hard earned cash or
goods, then I have every right in the world to ask a few questions.
So…what’s it to you if we want to know the answers to our questions?

Sumtingwong on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 6:45pm

Exactly. I haven’t seen any comments about IF, or how they screen the people
getting the free stuff. Give you odds that you won’t get a resonable answer.
And then they wonder why donations are down.

Cassandra on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 10:42pm

No, your question was clear enough and, I flatter myself to believe, so was mine. And since the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul is not a habitually abused government funded social service but, rather, a Catholic charity relying solely upon voluntary contributions, it utilizes the same criteria it has employed for nearly two centuries: if one must ask for charity, one must have need of charity. Such is the definition of Charity - goodwill toward or love of humanity, lenient judgement of others.

Want of money and want of the dignity to buy food you might otherwise be able to afford both amount to needs. Even the shriveled, angry and cynical soul of Just The Three of Us bespeaks a cavernous need, and I’m sure some cheese would be hers for the asking as well.

If you are an Objectivist student of Ayn Rand, I guess I see your existential disconnect with the concept of charity. Otherwise, you’re not being coerced into participation, so, as I asked, what’s it to ya?</

Knight Rider on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 11:34am
Title: Finally...

It took all that to get an answer? You really do love to ramble for the sake
of rambling. Next time all you have to say is… “They don’t have any
criteria, they hand it out to anybody that shows up.” See how easy that
was? What it is to me (and clearly others) is they are soliciting from the
community. If you are going to ask for donations you should be prepared to
explain how those donations will be distributed.

Just The Three of Us on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 1:50pm
Title: okaaay...

So you think it’s useful to people to support them even if they could do it
themselves. I think it’s useful to insist those who can, do. Charity isn’t
charity if you are keeping people dependent and unable to function on their
own. It’s just being mean and superior. But at any rate, that’s neither hear
nor there. What fascinates me and what you have still failed to answer:
what’s it to you? We’re not complaining about how you want to dole out your
charitable contributions; we never questioned your motives. So why are you so
upset about our desire to put our bucks where it will actually do some good.
Again, what’s it to ya if we ask questions so we can make what we consider
wise decisions? And if you were prepared to think, you might realize I can’t
be all that much of a shriveled, angry, cynical soul if I’m at least
*considering* this group as a recipient of my charitable contributions. I
mean *was* considering. With people like you championing them, I’ll stick to
animal charities.

Sumtingwong on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 7:03pm

They aren’t government funded? The catholic church doesn’t pay any taxes, so
we make up for it. And your statment that if you ask for charity, you must
have a need? Many that aren’t needy will take it, if it is there to take.

Cassandra on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 11:48pm

There you go. It really was just that easy. It required nothing more than a little reflection and a definition to get to your answer.

I must add that I am a little chilled to find that a self-described "intelligence analyst" felt the need to reach out to the online community and to be led by the hand down the path of common sense. It does, however, speak volumes about how the country came to its present condition.

Knight Rider on Sun, 10/14/2012 - 10:53am

That is because you didn’t and likely still don’t understand the nature
of my question. I could have simply called the organizations and maybe they
would have given me an answer, but I thought it would be better to pose the
question to the community to get them involved as well. Once again, you try
to answer something you clearly know nothing about. It speaks volumes that
you feel the need to resort to personal insults because you don’t
understand a question. Have a blessed day.