Multiple injuries cited as Dever's cause of death

BAC well over legal limit

SIERRA VISTA —  The late Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever had a blood alcohol level more than three times the legal limit in Arizona, which is 0.08 percent, leading to his death from multiple injuries.

The announcement of Dever’s impairment — noted as being acute ethanol — alcohol — intoxication was part of an autopsy report  done by the Coconino County Office of the Medical Examiner. The autopsy report was signed and released today by Dr. A.L. Mosley, the medical examiner for Coconino County.

The pathological results showed Dever’s blood alcohol content was 0.291 percent. The report indicated the single vehicle accident happened at approximately 6:28 p.m. on Sept. 18.

Sumtingwong on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 6:55pm
Title: Interesting

The first press reports said that there wasn’t any sign of alcohol being
involved. Wow, over 2.4, that is drunk. The thin blue line!

Rancher on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 7:39pm

Larry, you shouldn’t have been drinking alone, I would have driven if you
wanted to your Mother’s memory. Take care guy, you were a great guy! Rancher

weinna on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 5:00pm

Rancher, that was a very lovely thing to say. I wish more people would react
to this tragedy as you have. To the insensitive others I say, oh shut up all
of you perfect people. A man who spent most of his life serving his county,
the state and the nation made a bad decision. Well who among us hasn’t? Damn
it, he did more good than bad. He dedicated more time to the betterment of
this country than most of you who are so quick to make ugly comments. Cut him
& his family some slack. His wife, his children, grandchildren, friends &
colleagues are grieving. Larry, we wish you will still here with us. Watch
down upon us and protect us.

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 7:43pm

Hard to react in a positive way. How many people did he and his duputies,
arrest for DUI’s, who spent time in jail, had their cars impounded, paid
enormous fines, had their insurance premiums increased, lost their jobs, and
had to rent a blow divice to drive again. This probably wasn’t a once in a
life time thing for him. For an inexperienced drinker, they couldn’t have
functioned or found their car, with that level of BAC. …

weinna on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 7:01am

No one is disputing what you are saying. He did indeed arrest people for
DUI’s and it indeed impacted their lives, for the better I might add. Many of
those people probably didn’t drink & drive again. I wish someone had done the
same to him. Perhaps he’d still be here after learning a strong lesson.
Regardless of his horrible mistake it remains a fact that he was a good
person. And my point remains that the remarks being made are hurtful &
unnecessary. It’s not fair to his family that just because the man was well
known that the circumstances of his death become a free for all every
insensitive loon on the loose.

Sumtingwong on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 8:57am

I don’t dispute the fact that he was a good person… Anyone in the public
eye, can expect their lives to be commented on. When your in law enforcement,
there is a higher standard, you are expected to not only uphold the laws, but
obey them. The reporting of the circumstances of his death, the Coconino
sheiffs report, and the headlines, would have been a lot different, if he was
a private person.

Myron Jaworsky on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 9:36am

Does anyone need more lessons about “Don’t drink and drive?” I did not know
Sheriff Dever, but it’s clear that he was respected and admired by many
people. And like any public figure, that he had some detractors as well. But
isn’t it time to stop the scab picking? Sure, we have free speech. But beyond
a certain point, free speech turns into boorishness.

Sumtingwong on Fri, 10/12/2012 - 6:55pm

If your soo bored, why are you reading the comments and responding? If you
happen to notice that if there are three of more periods after a comment, it
was edited by the moderater, who just so happens to be a fan.

fired up on Sat, 10/13/2012 - 5:33am
Title: Honor

Honor the man for what he did for Cochise County and not what he did in his
off duty time. I believe very few of us can say that we NEVER drink and
drive, even after one drink. Larry did so much for this county. Let’s be
thankful for that.

donna worley on Mon, 10/15/2012 - 11:24am
Title: larry deaver

I new Sheriff Deaver and He as a very professional man. Did anyone happen to
say that his mother had died right before his accident. Think about it
people. I would definitely feel like it was a horrible accident but I
understand why he was drinking.

donna worley on Mon, 10/15/2012 - 11:26am

deavers mother had just died. give the poor guy a break. Let him who is
without sin cast the first stone. Larry was a wonderful man.

Sumtingwong on Mon, 10/15/2012 - 6:01pm
Title: I

Your in denial. Give me a break! That is a sorry excuse. I lost my father,
mother, and sister, and didn’t drink darn near to the point of alcohol
poisoning, because of it.

Rancher on Sat, 10/20/2012 - 4:22pm

I think his enemies had him killed and made it look like an accident. He was
Mormon, he didn’t drink (I never saw him take a sip). He was bruised up but
no real sign of something that would have killed him. He was being followed
by someone who could collaborate the “accident” but that someone would also
have to have been going at a high rate of speed on a forest road. Sound
suspicious? Rancher

Sumtingwong on Sat, 10/20/2012 - 7:54pm

No it doesn’t sound suspicious. He was driving the truck, and partaking on
the way.

Rancher on Sun, 10/21/2012 - 5:23pm

And you were there, I told you it sounded suspicious, are you admitting
guilt? Rancher

Sumtingwong on Mon, 10/22/2012 - 6:07pm

Oswald didn’t shoot Kennedy, the CIA was involved in the collapse of the
world trade center, and Elvis is still alive.

Rancher on Tue, 10/23/2012 - 7:17pm

Nobody would have wanted to kill Kennedy so it must have been an accident, of
course the CIA was involved in the world trade center disaster, and I saw
Elvis on a beach in Mexico just last week. And what was the question? Rancher