Tombstone youth shot as deputy marshal responds to break-in

Press release issued by the Cochise County Sheriff's Office

TOMBSTONE, Ariz. — A 15-year old Tombstone youth is dead after being shot by a deputy city marshal shot who was responding to a report of a residential break-in.

Cochise County Sheriff Chief Deputy Rod Rothrock said Saturday his agency will work quickly and thoroughly to bring closure to its investigation.

"It is a tragedy that we are experiencing so many deaths and/or injuries involving law enforcement in Cochise County within such a short amount of time," Rothrock said in a Sheriff’s Office press release.

Friend on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 7:17am

Looks like the moto is to shoot to kill, ask questions later. We have some
trigger happy law enforcement in this county. The officer was the judge and
jury for this young man.

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 12:58pm

And if the young man would have stayed home, and was in bed that night, we
wouldn’t be reading about this, nor would someone that hasn’t a clue, be
second judging the officer.

someone4me on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 7:41pm
Title: 15 years old

I would think that all good children would be asleep at 0345 hours. At the
age of 15-he probably didn’t have a job. He was probably in violation of the
curfew law. Did he know whose house he was in? I would defend my property as
well. Why was he there? We need a little bit more to this story.

gbonscott on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 2:17pm
Title: Shot Youth

Are you kidding me? I was infuriated by that last ignorant response. Lets
see…Officer responds to a criminal breaking into YOUR home WHILE you’re
inside. Said officer shoots intruder because he has a weapon. Over anxious
use of force? NO!!! This officer is a hero. He saved the lives of the
homeowner, any other unknown occupants, nearby neighbors, other approaching
officers of the law & himself while legitimately removing the threat. What,
should the officer have asked the intruder if he had a weapon or for his ID?
Be real. He’s a hero and I want to thank him/shake his hand for doing his
job, I.E; saving lives at the risk of losing his. Wake up people, the threat
is real. What if you were that home owner? Enter my home uninvited and as an
american & legal gun owner, I wont ask questions. The officer did what we pay
him to do, protect and serve. He IS a hero.

bjparkinson37 on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 10:06pm
Title: Hero? Maybe

I don’t want children shot, and I seriously doubt that the officer feels like
a hero after shooting a 15 year old. “He saved the lives of the homeowner,
any other unknown occupants, nearby neighbors, other approaching officers of
the law & himself while legitimately removing the threat.” You want to be
real? Let’s start with understanding that he didn’t save anyone, he killed a
child. Doubt you’ll ever know what the kid was doing there. I don’t have an
issue with the tactics the marshall took, I have a problem with people who
don’t view this as a travesty and deal out the hero card whenever a armed
intruder is shot. Guess we better wake up, the threat of kids breaking into
our houses is REAL.

Just The Three of Us on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 7:54am

Though I doubt it made this officer’s day, I am so very grateful that he was
able to respond appropriately to this situation and that the good guy won….
It’s really a shame that these situations and people exist, but they do and
there’s just no place for them in society. There are plenty of decent folk
who are struggling who could use our resources, no point in wasting them on
those who would harm others. Thanks to all law enforcement willing to put
their own lives on the line to protect ours.

Ken Adams on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 7:57am
Title: Motto

That is my motto if someone is breaking into my home. Sometimes, like when a
person is breaking into a home and has a weapon, there may not be time to ask
the questions you would like answers to. If you CHOOSE to break into my home,
I will be your judge, jury, and executioner.

jane66 on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 10:46am

I feel the officer did what he needed to do…its a sad loss that this child
died but what the heck was he doing out and about at this time and even with
a gun? This so called Innocent child is breaking into someones home with a
gun….why? To have the intent of harming someone? scaring someone, killing
someone? This officer did nothing wrong. What would everyone be saying if
this kid shot the officer OR Killed the owner of the house? What if he got
away with harming someone and moving on to another home! This kid should have
been at his house asleep in bed instead of causing problems!

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/11/2012 - 1:44pm