Elevated alcohol level reported at time of Dever's death

SIERRA VISTA — Late Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever had an elevated blood alcohol content above the legal limit at the time of his death, the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office reported Friday evening.

The information was released to the sheriff’s office from Dever’s family, who was made aware of the results of toxicology tests today.

Dever was killed Sept. 18 in a single-vehicle accident when his pickup truck rolled at least once while he was traveling on Forest Service Road 109, a dirt road, about two miles north of White Horse Lake, near Flagstaff. He was on his way to participate in a family hunting trip.

AZ_Mom on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 5:10pm
Title: Dever

When I’m right, no one remembers. When I’m wrong, no one forgets. RIP Sheriff
Dever. Thank you for your years of service.

dogmaah on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 5:42pm

especially when you don’t use a seatbelt and drive 62 mph on a forest road. I
miss Dever’s presence but his death is just a reminder for all of us that no
one is above the law.

BluesFan on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 7:00pm

It is a sad ending to a life well lived, and a man who gave and did so much
for others. To criticize him at this point is tasteless and reflects a total
lack of character. It is appropriate to mourn the loss of such a fine man. To
make snide remarks speaks volumes about the critic. RIP, Larry Dever. Thank
you for a life well-lived and an extraordinary career of true service to all
of us.

CJRsMOM on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 7:11pm

This news doesn’t change the fact that Sheriff Dever was loved and respected
by the people he served and protected. No one walks on water and everyone is
human. Sheriff Dever wore boots, not sandals. He will always be revered as
one of the greatest Sheriffs in Arizona History. I am sorry to have this fact
come to light for the Dever Family but, I pray they rest assured that he will
always be thought of fondly by his constituents.

Wayne Jacobs on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:18pm
Title: Dever

This doesn’t change the fact that Larry Dever was a great man and a great
Sheriff. He will always be remembered for the great things he did for Cochise
County and for the State of Arizona.

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:41pm
Title: Lesson...

It is sad to see a respected law enforcement professional die due to drunk
driving, but instead of dwelling on the negative, use this experience to
teach others about the dangers of drinking and driving, and speeding, and not
wearing your seatbelt.

Gary.townsend on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 7:27am
Title: Mr. Dever

I have known Mr. Dever for most of my life, my late father Bill and him
served in Miracle Valley back in the day. When I became of legal age I was
one of his volunteers with CCSO SAR (Mr. Dever was a LT at that time). When I
left the Cochise County in 1995 Mr. Dever told me to do my time and when I
return he will be Sheriff and has a badge for me when I returned. Well here
we are 17 years later and just a few months ago Mr. Dever was at my Fathers
memorial service and I can’t even tell you how much his private words he
expressed to me warmth my heart during the difficult time. I find myself back
in the Middle East serving our great nation and when I found out the news of
his death, I didn’t even hesitate, I took leave and flew home for two days
for his memorial service. I was the only sailor at Buena High that sad day. I
spent more time traveling to AZ then I did in AZ. This news don’t change a
thing, I would fly home again in a heart beat. My prayers are with the
Dever’s each day.

Proud US Citizen on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 9:35am

exactly what transpired in what is known as “The Shootout at Miracle Valley”,
Sheriff Dever was a deputy sheriff then and was shot that day, but because of
politics, all of the charges against all of those people responsible were
dropped. Even after that, Sheriff Dever dedicated his life to serving the
good citizens of Cochise County. As others here have stated, he truly was a
great Sheriff, and he will never be forgotten.

Jesse on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 1:21pm

Drinking and driving…. Luckily he only killed himself instead of another
driver. Irresponsible.

Sumtingwong on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 6:25pm
Title: Shocked

I am totally shocked that the Herald printed this comment, as most are only
 accolades.

Jesse on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 9:04pm

If this were anybody else, the posts here would be completely different. I’m
sure he was a great person, but drinking and driving ruins innocent people’s
 lives.

Resident Caveman on Sun, 10/07/2012 - 4:41pm

Let this be a lesson to all of us. Do not drink and drive, do not speed and
always wear your seat belt!

soccer808 on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 9:23am

My comment, which was not positive, was not posted. There were no curse words
or anything “insensitive” - just the truth. So sick of the Herald posting
what they choose to — unreal. If this guy would have been a “criminal”, I am
sure they would have let the postings fly….at least people can read the
TRUTH in the article and make their own decisions what kind of person he was.

Knight Rider on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 12:24pm

I completely agree with you soccer. I didn’t experience that on this
particular story, but have had comments rejected in the past to stories
because they were opinions that weren’t flattering to someone who the SV
Herald held in high regard. I don’t think a man’s life should be judged
based on one incident, but it shouldn’t be hidden and discussions closed
off to it. He could have killed someone that night and given his position he
clearly knew he was breaking the laws he was sworn to uphold. ….

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 12:55pm
Title: It sure does

I made a couple of comments that weren’t posted too. Nothing derogatory in
them, just questioning the white washed articles in the Herald. And quoting
statements made on the Coconino sheriff’s website, which also is at fault,
for releasing info about the accident bit by bit. Elevated levels, when they
knew exactly what the BAC was.

tinajones on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 2:36pm
Title: Blood-Alcohol

Sheriff Larry Dever’s Blood-Alcohol Level??? oohh they cant put that in the
 paper…

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 6:54pm

Wow, .29 in the AZ Star

someone4me on Tue, 10/09/2012 - 8:14pm

That was a nice comment. People should remember the good that Dever did and
not one mistake that caused his end. His family are the only persons that
suffer now.