Border Patrol agent shot Tuesday east of Bisbee

Gallery ImageGallery ImageGallery Image

(CLICK on photo above, to see even more photos from this story)

BISBEE — A U.S. Border Patrol agent was fatally shot early Tuesday morning in rugged terrain in a remote area seven miles east of Bisbee and about five miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Agent Nicholas Ivie, 30, was killed around 1:30 a.m. after he and two other agents responded to a tripped sensor, hit near mile marker 352 on Highway 80. One other agent sustained non-life threatening wounds, was airlifted to a local hospital and was reported to be in stable condition on Tuesday afternoon, according to a press release.

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/02/2012 - 6:11pm
Title: Earlier Story

Why was Shacat heading to Naco to cover this story, when the killings
happened near Douglas?

ThatGuy on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 2:04am
Title: My 2 cents

While I’m sorry to the family that just lost a son/husband/father I’d like to
point out something. 1 - This is going to happen in any line of policing
work. Nature of the beast. DHS has stepped far beyond their bounds and as
such, they are putting these guys in the line of fire. Sensors being checked?
Why not watch the actual border? That’s a novel idea I’m sure. 2 - Chula
Vista CA… A 32 year old female was shot 9 times by a “plain clothes” border
patrol officer serving a federal warrant the day before this happened. She
wasn’t even named on the warrant. Since when did they begin serving warrants?
In plain clothes? The short of what I’m saying is… This kind of thing is
only going to happen more and more as the DHS gains more and more power over
our constitution.

PattiPolcari on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 6:41am

My sincere condolances to this officers wife and young children. I am so very
sorry for your loss of such a wonderful giving man. I hope the people
responsible for this cowardly act are caught.

Windsor on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 8:17am
Title: Wow That Guy

I am glad that is your “two cents” because you are way off. Border Patrol
agents do conduct investigations and they are Federal Law Enforcement. They
have not overstepped their boundaries, they are doing what they are supposed
to do. It doesn’t matter if you understand it or not. Furthermore, how about
just telling one side of the story? You ACCIDENTALLY forgot to mention that
the woman who was shot HIT the Border Patrol Agent with her CAR and was
driving with him stuck on the hood. That is when he shot her. Wow, real
innocent lady huh? What is wrong with you people who think it is acceptable
and LEGAL to assault or kill agents? Let me guess, you are liberal right?

SV Guy on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 8:36am

A fund has been set up for the family if interested:

fedjoe on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 9:39am

DHS is not restricted to only our borders. Since The DHS merger with US
Customs and INS and the US Border Patrol they have been operating under one
umbrella. Border Patrol has always served warrants within the jurisdiction of
the United States. Their are different division within the USBP that designed
to do investigation on smuggling cases, title 21 narcotic cases and different
international customs cases. They are just bounded to the borders. Though
most of the work force is focused there. Ground intrusion sensors are a vital
tool in detection, apprehending and deterring illegal activity among our
borders. That women in Chula Vista tried to run over that plain close agent
with her vehicle. Regardless if it was an agent or just a regular civilian,
that was an attempt to cause serious bodily harm or possibly death to that
person. Any person could take that same action to protect themselves against
that assault. DHS is protecting our constitutional rights. Thank them.

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 10:45am

You leave out a lot of the story when you talk about the woman who was shot.
She hit the agent with her car and kept driving with him on the hood for
several hundred yards. I guess if you pick and choose the facts to talk about
you can spin anything.

ThatGuy on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 3:25pm

Yup, I find this information to be quite interesting. How about the FACT that
at least 4 eye witnesses wrote statements that the car was backing up that
whole time? The officer had no reason to jump on the hood (oh yeah, another
offer at the same time reached into her car to remove the keys - I guess he
was trained on vehicle avoidance). Look at a map and you’ll see that the car
ended up where it would have IF she had backed up. Defend that “blue code of
silence” partner. May keep you on the good side of the cops - but the wrong
side of the law.

ThatGuy on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 3:51pm
Title: Always?!

Stating they have always served search warrants then quoting a recently
created document allowing them to do so doesn’t add up. Usbp was created to
guard our invisible border through racist means (those Chinese didn’t belong
here apparently). I almost forgot! “Give me your tired, your poor, your
huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” - WHOOPS. I guess the DHS must
have missed that while worrying about people taking 3.5 ounce cologne on
airplanes and TWEEZERS! Arrest him!

liberal101 on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 4:57pm

I started reading the comments and was glad to see support here for BP. Other
forums haven’t been so kind. Bless all of our men and women who work for the
‘right’ of this country. And I mean ‘right’ in its true form.I believe in Law
Enforcement be it State or Federal. What was the Agent to do in CA? BP, DPS,
Local& County entities deal with an entirely different scenario in AZ NM TX
CA, we should know we live here.I don’t argue if I am pulled over, and Ihave
let them search when asked.I have my opinions and I exercise my right to vote
for what I would like to see come to pass. I am by no means niave and think
only good will prevail..way to old for that nor am I too cynical, altho age
changes that also. In short I have common sense.It could have been citizens
up to no good out there the other night, and it could have been anyone of us
that walked up on them. Thank BP the next time you see them for what they do.
BTW I am A Liberal, I just don’t fit your mold.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 7:11am

Picking and choosing witnesses and facts and you can completely spin a story
to fit your own agenda. Are you a politician by chance?

OLD SV61 on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 8:59am

Those poor, tired, huddled masses yearning to be free did not sneak across
the desert in the dead of night ILLEGALLY. Big difference, dude.

katsnrotties on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 10:46am

I was just at the press conference and was horrified and outraged to find out
the the government is not covering the funeral costs for this family. Their
loved one was killed in the line of duty… Please help me understand WHY
this is not covered by “some entity”. The last thing this family needs to do
is worry about funeral costs.. come on “government”, support ALL of our brave
men and women fighting for this country! Especially if they died fighting for
 us!!

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:52pm
Title: Caught...

Looks like they were right in front of us all along…

jmasterj on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 12:24pm

Very sad story, my heart goes out to the family. I try to be respectful as
possible when discussing issues such as these. I can’t tell you how many
times CBP agents have surrounded my vehicle at their checkpoints, usually 7-8
agents deep, threatening and harassing me, even going as far as illegally
searching my vehicle on a few occasions. They refuse to even take complaints.
Maybe tragic deaths such as these would be prevented if CBP had their
priorities in order, meaning they should be doing their job going after
illegals and securing the border, instead of trying to intimidate law-abiding
U.S. citizens who are driving to work. Just a thought.

Sumtingwong on Mon, 02/11/2013 - 6:44pm

Jmasterj, Sounds like you have an agenda, and maybe you aren’t that law
abiding. Commenting on an artice, that is four months old, sure seems that
you just search of anything, to promote your dislike for the BP.