Bicyclist dies after struck by car

SIERRA VISTA — A 67-year-old cyclist was killed Sunday after he was struck by a motorist east of town.

Terry Lee Brown was riding his bicycle on Highway 90 near mile marker 326 at about 10:14 a.m. "when he was hit from behind," said Officer Raul Molina, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Both Brown and the 2001 Jeep station wagon that struck him were traveling west  on the highway between Moson Road and the San Pedro River at the time of the incident. Fry Fire District medical personnel responded to the area and a medical transport helicopter was placed on stand by, said Paul Cimino, fire marshal for the Sierra Vista Fire Department.

However, Brown, who was wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dirk on Tue, 10/02/2012 - 10:32am
Title: Injury

I have never heard of a collision between a car and cyclist that didn’t
involve an injury for the cyclist? Do you mean that in the other collision
that the cyclist was not hospitalized?

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/02/2012 - 11:40am
Title: Read

Two collisions mentioned in the article. One injured, one dead.

Ken Adams on Tue, 10/02/2012 - 1:47pm
Title: So sad

Unfortunately, driving has become so mundane people are multi-tasking while
they drive, when the only task anyone should be doing is PAYING ATTENTION!
How can somebody be driving on Hwy 90, a nice, newly paved, straight road,
with ample emergency lane and rumble strips, and simply run over a cyclist
who has every right to be on that road, as well? I so badly wish that our
soft society would realize that these drivers should never be allowed to
drive again in their lives. Would be quite an inconvenience, right? Probably
not as inconvenient as dying was to Mr. Brown and his loving family. Godspeed
 sir.

Sumtingwong on Tue, 10/02/2012 - 6:30pm

What in the story tells you that the biker wasn’t at fault? Could have
swerved in front of the car. Maybe bikers shouldn’t be allowed to ride again
in their lives.

Baghdad Jim on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 2:04am
Title: Semantics

I agree 100% with your comment Sumtingwong, we really do not know who is at
fault. That said, I wish you would use the correct term to identify the
deceased who was on a bicycle; he was a Cyclist or a Bicyclist. A biker
generally denotes someone who rides a motorcycle. Depending on how it is used
in a sentence, it can be descriptive or derogatory.

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 7:36am

There are a large number of bicycle riders in this town that ride extremely
recklessly. They swerve from the shoulder into the traffic lane and back
whenever it is convenient for them, they don’t pay any attention to traffic
signs, and then they whine and cry about vehicle drivers. I am not sure why
our police force doesn’t ticket bicycle riders when they blow through stop
signs or are swerving in and out of traffic lanes. I see you are blaming the
car in this instance, but from everything I have seen my money would be on
the bike rider being at fault.

Sumtingwong on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 7:52am

Sorry for the blank up. I ride a Road king.

Ken Adams on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 8:01am

Sorry fellas, but a little inside information allows me to say that. The
driver was actually so disengaged in driving that she was unaware of what she
had hit!

Ken Adams on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 8:30am

Your suggestion came true, because, unfortunately, Mr. Brown will never ride
again. Even through your sarcasm, I will say I agree with you, especially if
the cyclist kills the driver of the vehicle.

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 9:24am
Title: Source...

Who is your source? My inside information says it was a reckless bicycle
 rider.

Sumtingwong on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 10:29am

Inside info, outside info, spreading missleading info, no facts.

FreeWill on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 11:58am

How hard is it to turn the steering wheel a little and give the cyclists some
room. I mean really. Drivers need to drive defensively and scan the road.

dsfarrell on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 12:54pm

Hey KR, you can’t possibly be serious! This rider was run down from behind on
the highway but you’d be willing to bet that it was his fault. Maybe you’re
clairvoyant or something??? Perhaps you were a witless? Sorry, I meant
witness? Did you even read the story? Of course some cyclists break the law,
so do a huge percentage of drivers. You ever speed KR? Ever read or send a
text while driving? Maybe have a glass of wine or two and still drive home?
Please, spare me the ‘holier than thou’ attitude. I’m not sure why you hate
cyclists so much, and frankly I don’t care. You are a troubled soul…

dsfarrell on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 12:58pm

The cyclist was run down from behind so he could not possibly be at fault. He
did not run a red light, he did not ride off the sidewalk into traffic, he
was run down from behind without any warning.

Knight Rider on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 1:21pm

How do you know they didn’t? I have driven past bicyclists and given them a
big cushion and they still are swerving all over the place and I have nearly
hit them.

Ken Adams on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 1:48pm
Title: Totally agree

If the scenario was a large truck driving slowly on the side of the road,
most drivers would give that truck plenty of room, even moving into the next
lane, just in case. When that scenario involves a cyclist, most drivers don’t
even move to the left side of their own lane. Often they seem to enjoy
buzzing as close to the cyclist as they can. Oh what fun! I realize not all
cyclists are courteous and careful (for you KR and Mr Wong), however, we
don’t deserve to be run down or scared to death just for fun.

Sumtingwong on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 6:20pm

Well getting run down from behind, very well could have been the cyclist
swerved in front of the car. The end, if you know something that we aren’t
being told, speak up and not by saying you have inside info.

desertdawn on Wed, 10/03/2012 - 8:49pm

Terry has been a conscientious, law abiding cyclist for at least the last 15
years. I often saw him out riding. He was extremely careful and aware of his
surroundings. Sometimes you can’t compete with someone not paying attention
or following the rules of the road — that’s when a car becomes a deadly
weapon. Remember, AZ law says motorists must maintain 3 feet clearance
between their vehicle and any unmotorized cycle OR STAY BEHIND THEM if that
can’t be done.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 7:02am

The vehicle driver wasn’t cited so I wouldn’t go around blaming them for
anything either.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 7:08am

You already stated in a different post that because he was hit from behind it
couldn’t be his fault. That is completely wrong. If he were to swerve into
the traffic and was hit from behind he clearly was at fault. If you and
others can sit here and blame a driver who wasn’t cited, then don’t be
immature and add personal insults when someone else offers a different
 opinion.

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 7:34am

Just how do you know who wasn’t paying attention, or following the rules of
the road? Most everyone has been, or is law abiding, and conscientious, but
mistakes happen, and accidents happen.

FreeWill on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 10:32am

KR have you ever seen a cyclist obey the laws? I have all the time, how else
would they stay alive so long? Deductive reasoning. Why are you making
excuses for a person who ran a 2000 lbs powered assault weapon into a human
being at high speeds. Just how would you like it if someone ran you over? Or
your mom or dad, or your brother or sister, kids? I can just hear the excuses
now: “Oh, yes officer the cyclist just kept getting closer and closer” gimme
a break and get this killer off the road. In modern vehicles, operators have
the luxury of using the brakes/steering wheel.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 10:40am

I’m sorry were you there? I am exercising my “free will” to have an
opinion that happens to differ from others. I guess I must be wrong because
you or someone else says so? Once again you reach to the extremes to attempt
to prove a point that no one is arguing. Of course there are good bicyclists,
but there are also bad. Much like there are good vehicle drivers and bad. I
offered an alternative idea to what most people were preaching and as far as
I know there has been no citation against the vehicle driver so saying they
were at fault is merely your opinion. You have your opinion, I have mine.
Have a blessed day.

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 10:54am
Title: Not all

All of them don’t stay alive sooo long. Not only do you claim to know who was
at fault, but the weight of the vehicle. At the present time, readers don’t
know who was at fault. …

dsfarrell on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 10:59am

…and that’s because they are completing their investigation, so why don’t
you and sometinwong take a break from blaming the cyclist until all the facts
are known. Maybe you can torture your pet until then?

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 12:24pm
Title: Done

Just got done kicking the H. out of my dog. Neither I nor KR blamed the
cyclist, just made comments that question the comments, made by posters that
have blamed the car driver, even going so far as to call him/her a killer.

Knight Rider on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 1:51pm

So much for the no personal attacks guidelines huh? Go torture my pet? What
kind of sociopath says something like that just because someone happens to
have a different opinion than they do? Go get some help.

Webist on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 2:18pm

I am certain the driver and the cyclist are pleased that the result of
tragedy is argument among those otherwise completly uninvolved. Sadness,
sympathy and resolve to behave better among ourselves is in order.

Larkell Freebard on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 2:49pm

For those of you that are not keeping this discussion civil I will put forth
some facts: A 2001 Jeep Station Wagon weights in at just over 3900lbs. The
accident occurred mid-morning so visibility would not have been a major
contributing factor. Both Mr. Brown and the Jeep were traveling the same
direction on a flat section of HWY 90. An investigation is ongoing to
determine cause of accident and if charges need to be filed. Mr. Brown was an
active member of the Sierra Vista Community, Retired Military with 50 years
of service to his Country, and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.
Please stop inciting disagreements and remember that Mr. Brown’s family and
friends deserve consideration and respect as they mourn the loss of their
loved one.

Tattriee on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 3:50pm

The bottom line is that a member of our community—a generous, caring, kind,
funny man—died tragically, and another person has to bear the guilt that
comes with causing his death, no matter whose fault it was. If either of the
people involved were my family, I would hope that the community would wait
for the facts to come out and refrain from guessing at who did what.
Speculating about whose fault it was doesn’t make any of what happened less
tragic. Maybe as cyclists and drivers (and a lot of us are both), we could
take an honest look at our riding and driving habits and consider what we can
do to keep one another safer on the roads—signaling our intentions clearly,
not using cell-phones, and riding and driving predictably.

Sumtingwong on Thu, 10/04/2012 - 6:11pm

Retired military has absolutely nothing to do with this accident. And 50
years of service?

WTH on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:13am
Title: sumtingwong

You truly do have something wrong,, you are a top blogger on the SV Herald
and constant negativity and total lack of respect for anyone or anything that
happens. Do you need a job to occupy some of your time,, it’s disgusting how
you think you need to attack and belittle everything and everyone in this
paper,, show some respect just once for a family,a tragedy, you show your
ignorance daily, I knew Terry for 15 years,, and accident for whatever reason
has caused much grief for many. WTH is wrong with you, show some respect,,
get your own life and stop ripping at everyone else,,,

Tattriee on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 3:02pm

Terry entered the Army in 1962. He retired from active duty in 1982. He then
became a Department of the Army civilian, and worked another 30 years. That
would be 50 years of service to our country. The Herald has Terry’s age
wrong. He was 68, (born in 1944) not 63.

Tattriee on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 3:19pm
Title: Amen!

Terry’s loss is being felt by a lot of people in this community. There are
people—our neighbors—whose worlds shattered last Sunday. These people are
going to be reading what we—their neighbors—have to say. None of us knows
who was at fault, and we may never know. Rather than assigning blame, let’s
consider what we can do to pull together and show compassion for our
 neighbors.

Tattriee on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 3:50pm

Here are the “Bicycling Street Smarts” manual, and the Arizona Department of
Transportation’s selection of laws relating to cycling.
http://www.azbikeped.org/azbss.htm http://www.azbikeped.org/bss-az.htm Rather
than tearing each other down, why don’t we look at what we can do to make
each other safer?

Chavita on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 5:01pm
Title: Thanks

Thank you for your voice of reason. Your math is spot on as well. I am all
for free speech and freedom of the press but was totally I prepared for
banter that has ensued. Where is common sense and courtesy ?

Sumtingwong on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 7:14pm

Are we going go see a correction from the Herald regarding his age?

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:46pm

Common sense tells me if I don’t appreciate the comments people are writing
I would stop reading them.

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 8:50pm
Title: Bunk...

What is truly funny about your posting is that Sumtingwong, and I for that
matter, didn’t attack or belittle anyone. We offered a different opinion of
who might be at fault and other posters decided that we were wrong and made
personal attacks against us. If you are going to call someone else ignorant
you should make sure you are displaying your own ignorance first.

Knight Rider on Fri, 10/05/2012 - 9:41pm

That should be ” aren’t ” aren’t displaying your own ignorance.

WTH on Sat, 10/06/2012 - 9:36pm
Title: KR

as was my opinion of your comments,, always critical,, sad for you

Piper54 on Sun, 10/07/2012 - 3:33am

I’m only going to post this one time. I’ve lost my best friend and mate and I
cannot remember where I am sometimes and passwords or high on the list of
things that I lose. Folks please don’t fight. I’m certainly not going to
fight with any of you, including those who think it’s possible Terry was at
fault. He loved to ride on the road and in the canyone, I wish he had been on
his mountain bike that day, he would not be at the moruary as I write this.
When I waved goodbye to him around 8:30 am I of course had no idea what was
going to happen, or I would have run to him and tried with all my strength to
prevent him from leaving. He would have thought that behaviour so odd, he
would have been so stunned, he wouldn’t have left that day. He was such a
funny, quirky beautiful man, he said he had to ride more because last week he
sneezed and the button on his pants flew off, the way he said it cracked me
up and we howled with laughter. Terry I love you, I feel you with me. Excuse
the typos.

Knight Rider on Sun, 10/07/2012 - 7:24am
Title: Critical...

If you consider anytime has a different opinion than you do to be
“critical” then you might be right, but I live in a world where everyone
is entitled to their own opinion and as an adult I can deal with someone not
agreeing with me. Have a blessed day.

Sumtingwong on Sun, 10/07/2012 - 10:13am

WTH, Your postings are the most critical and insulting on this site. Read
your postings, and if you have a lick of sense, you will agree.

kwhitw on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 11:17pm

I just wanted to say that my husband, Bill, and I are grateful that we were
able to see Terry one last time at a local veterinarian about a month ago. We
have known Terry since the mid 1980s while shooting silhouette at a local gun
club. He was a funny, quirky guy, who we enjoyed visiting as well as working
with on Fort Huachuca. He will be sorely missed by us as well as many others.

kwhitw on Mon, 10/08/2012 - 11:20pm

Bless you. I know it is hard. Hope it gets better.

FreeWill on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 10:21am

I did not see the accident therefore I do not know who is at fault. (KR you
just won the game of SV Herald comment life, Mr Wong very excite!) What I do
know is that I don’t have an airbag on my bicycle and I don’t need to have a
valid state issued license to operate a bicycle. Lets talk about licensing
then since we all admit there are bad drivers out there and they all get
their license for a fee from the state! Is the state liable for issuing
licenses to a bad driver/s? Where is the accountability here?

Sumtingwong on Wed, 10/10/2012 - 11:26am

OH NO! I decided to post again as I don’t want good ole KR to beat me. I
think you do have an airbag on your bicycle, everytime you mount it.

mishoo11 (not verified) on Sat, 02/09/2013 - 3:45am

It is wonder thing that is possible collision between bicycle and car i think
car strike with bicycle and he is dead because he has not any protection.