Shock, disbelief following Dever's death

Gallery ImageGallery Image

(CLICK on photo above, to see even more photos from this story)

SIERRA VISTA — Area officials have expressed sorrow and additional information has been released by the agency investigating the crash that resulted in the death of Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever on Tuesday.

Coconino County law enforcement was initially contacted about the accident at 6:40 p.m. Tuesday when a caller reported a single-vehicle rollover accident on Forest Service Road 109, about two miles north of White Horse Lake, which is about 20 miles southwest of Flagstaff.

palominas11980 on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 10:40am
Title: Larry Dever

Brodcast from CH 4 news Tucson said that Larry was on his way to meet a son
for camping. (I would assume it was his son that is a Major and was to be
deployed to Afganistan?)

Sumtingwong on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 12:20pm

I would assume that people from Palominas shouldn’t assume.

fired up on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 3:13pm
Title: True Leader

Sheriff Dever will be missed by all of us here in Cochise County. He served
the county with Honor, Pride, and Dignity. Our hearts and prays go out to his
 family.

FirstNation on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 3:33pm
Title: Larry

God be with us all.

tskmstrwllms on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 5:25pm

I had occasion to meet Sheriff Dever in 1997. He was simply one of the best.
My condolences, and prayers, got to his family, his co-workers, and the good
people of Cochise county.

mescar327 on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 6:40pm

Your smiling face will be missed at our annual Helldorado Parade. We were
proud to know you. Prayers and comfort to Nancy and the rest of your family.
MCE, Tombstone

CCWHM on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 7:58pm
Title: Typical

For pity sake, do you really have so little going on in your life that you
honestly need to troll on this? Pathetic.

Knight Rider on Thu, 09/20/2012 - 7:20am
Title: Grow up...

If Sumtingwong is a troll, which I would argue they are not as they do add to
a conversation most of the time. If that makes them a troll then almost every
poster is a troll. Or perhaps you don’t appreciate what they have to say so
you attempt to marginalize them by name calling, not unlike a little kid
would do. In the off chance they truly are a troll, then you are doing
exactly what they want. They feed off the attention they are given. So who is
the pathetic one? The troll or the one falling for the trolls tricks?

Ken Adams on Thu, 09/20/2012 - 11:04am
Title: So sad

What a sad existense you must live, Mr Wong, as you see only the negative in
everything. Even your handle expresses that, as you see it, something is
always wrong. We all have the option to be positive or negative, and it is
sad that you choose to see the dark side of life. As we see with the sheriff,
life can be short and to think that one never enjoyed the happiness that is
out there, only saw life as negative, is kinda sad.

Bisbeemomo4 on Thu, 09/20/2012 - 4:32pm

commenters should refrain from personal attacks when the topic involves
honoring Larry Dever for his years of public service, all the numerous times
he helped people in need, and his committment to his wife and children (rare
these days). Thankfully he leaves behind a legacy of 6 sons, who he and Nancy
raised right, who will go on to continue to contribute to the betterment of
society. Nancy, and the Dever Family, My thoughts and prayers are with your
 family.

CCWHM on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 2:11pm
Title: Wow

Speaking of the need for some growing up, how about you try to get SOMETHING
correct instead of getting all irrational and flying off the handle because
someone dared disagree with you? I didnt call “Somethingwrong” a troll now
did I? No clearly I am using the troll as a verb now arent I? My comment is
written at the 3rd level I just thought someone who comments on the local
paper as much as you seem to would be able read it correctly before flying
off the handle. Of couse I also didnt call “pathetic” now did I? I used that
phrase by itself at the end of the comment and it was intended to describe
the whole situation.

Sumtingwong on Mon, 09/24/2012 - 7:30pm
Title: Who?

How soon you forget. From reading your previous comment, I think you called
me a troll. If not who were you calling a troll? Doesn’t bother me though,
but you backing off does, along with trying to insult KR.

CCWHM on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 10:14am
Title: Amazing

”I think you called me a troll. If not who were you calling a troll?” You “think”? You can’t tell by reading? It amazes me I have to explain such a simple concept to those who regularly comment on a paper’s site. I said, “you honestly need to troll on this”. “NEED to” makes the word “troll” an action (verb). So, “you…need to troll” isn’t the same as saying, “you troll” where “troll” is a noun now is it? Hence I am not calling anyone a troll, I am saying you engage in trolling. Amazing you two don’t grasp that.

Explaining how you and “KR” are using a straw man argument isn’t backing off, but typical that you would treat it as such. Look, I’m horrible at English, I bet I make English teachers cringe and cower in fear at my incorrect grammar. I’m used to typos, dropped words and such like as I am one of the worst offenders you can find. That said, bypassing literacy by simply ascribing any meaning you want to language makes it difficult for anyone to communicate with you two.

Knight Rider on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 1:30pm
Title: Wow indeed...

If you think I “flew off the handle” what do you call your reply? I know
these are trying times what with the influx of bears and all, but it’s not
time to lose our heads.

Sumtingwong on Tue, 09/25/2012 - 6:51pm
Title: Arrogrant

Do they make hats, that are big enough for you head? “Engaging in trolling
doesn’t make one a troll.” In other words from your point of view, engaging
in a criminal activity doesn’t make you a criminal.

Knight Rider on Wed, 09/26/2012 - 7:15am

This name calling has just gone too far. First you call someone a Troll and
now you call us scarecrows. I am outraged! Just wait until we make it to see
the wizard and I get my brain. I said good day sir!