Scout collecting flags on the Fourth

Gallery Image

One 14-year-old is using Independence Day to become both an Eagle Scout and to show respect toward the stars and stripes.

Bryant Pyle will be collecting worn and tattered American flags to retire properly on Labor Day. The process will advance Pyle, who has been a Boy Scout for six years, from Life Scout to Eagle Scout.

"My grandpa served in two foreign wars, Vietnam and Korea, he has a lot of respect for the flag," he said. "He would get mad seeing tattered flags being flown."

brian on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 7:15am

What the Scout is doing is a worthwhile service project and one that needs to
be done more often; however this service is one that is done routinely at the
Troop level. This does not in any way rise to the level of being worhty of an
Eagle project. This service requires little to no leadership, managment, or
organizing. This is an embarassment and a slap in the face to Eagle Scouts
who had to EARN thier rank. His older brothers projects fit the bill (though
I would argue the charter Org ought not be the beneficiary), does this really
rise to a similar level of leadership, organiziing and planning as th others?

gcugrad on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 8:57am

First let me say, congratulations Bryant, working to finish your Eagle Scout
project is a great accomplishment. I would also like to say, don’t quit
Scouting when you are done. Help to lead others on the Trail to Eagle. Second
to Brian, I am more offended by your comments (as an Eagle who earned his
Eagle Scout) than anything else I read here today. Why do you feel you have
the right to judge his Eagle Scout Project? He had to submit an application
through Catalina Council to get approval to start on the project and someone
thought this project rose to the level of leadership of an Eagle Scout. I
think it is horrible when people put down and belittle a young man for trying
something new. If you are a fellow Scout, shame on you. If you are a Scouter,
shame on you even more. In both cases, your job is to encourage Scouts and
help them to learn, and your comment will not help or encourage this Scout in
any way.

Just The Three of Us on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 10:05am
Title: Hmmm.

Is that the ‘fire pit’ his brother made in the background. Please tell me it
isn’t so!

brian on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 12:11pm

I knew there’d be at least one dolt out there who refuses to see. You trust
too much in this Council to think that this effort underwent any level of
scrutiny (this same desert Council didn’t figure it important to monitor
water useage). But more to the point, as an Eagle yourself, point out the
fallacy of any of the points I raised. I started by saying that this service
is worthwhile and needs to be done more often, but then you conveniently
skipped that. This effort requires less “leadership” and planning and
organization than getting a typical Troop through breakfast on a camping
trip. I cast derision on the unit leadership, his Eagle advisor, Cochise
District Eagle project reviwing office, and Catalina Council, not on the
Scout who only did what he was told. But you’re too jaded to see that. If the
boy can’t rise to the standard, lower the standard to the boy. Great life
lesson there.

brian on Wed, 07/04/2012 - 12:20pm

The AIM of the Eagle Project is to allow the Scout to demonstrate leadership,
the ability to plan, organize and execute a project. A BENEFIT of the project
is a service to the community. Collecting flags does not knowledge impart.

Personal Respon... on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 8:03am
Title: Eagle Project

So what was your Eagle Project Brian? As for Bryant’s project, I guarantee
there is more invovled than the article reports. One could read this and
“assume” that he is just waiting at the drop off location for people to bring
him their flags. But I would bet there is more to it. I applaud you Bryant
for educating people and providing a service for the community that will make
the community a better place for a long time. The education you are providing
will hopefully cause people to have more respect for our flag and country.
Thank you Bryant. And I am not an Eagle Scout, but have known many youth that
have earned or are in the process of earning their Eagle rank and applaud
them all for the dedication it takes to complete and the valuable traits they
learn and acquire along the path.

TracyWilson on Thu, 07/05/2012 - 11:46pm
Title: Scouts

Scout does only mean benefit to the community and being loyal with everyone.
One should have to be a good leader, good follower, listener and able to take
correct decision quickly. skin care for cancer patients [1]

[1] http://www.elishea.com/

Knight Rider on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 6:50am
Title: Nice...

I thought the same thing when I read the article. I too hope that it just a
 coincidence.

S.V. Fire House Cat on Fri, 07/06/2012 - 7:51am

This is a simple example how one person can make a difference. He knows the
only way a difference can be made is when we each do our best at our own
 level.