MI: Washington honored soldier he sent to spy on British



Gallery Image


WASHINGTON HEADQUARTERS, NEWBURGH, N.Y.— On Aug. 7, 1782, General George Washington issued an order for the establishment of The Badge of Military Merit.

Part of his order for the badge’s creation was it would be in the shape of a heart and made of purple cloth on which the word merit would be embroidered.

It was to be worn on the left breast of the recipient.

Only three are known to have been awarded by Washington, all in 1783 at his Newburgh headquarters with one on display at the New Windsor Cantonment.

All involved bravery.




Full text available to premium subscribers and archive access members only.

Click here to become a Premium Member today for only $4.50 per month and get access to all of our content every day.

Or pay just $3.99 one time and receive 30 day access to our older archives. Current premium stories are not included in this offer.




Text Resize

-A A +A