Man disrupts local showing of "The Dark Knight Rises"

SIERRA VISTA — Cochise County Sheriff’s deputies have arrested a homeless man after he disrupted a local theater Friday, causing moviegoers to evacuate less than a day after a gunman opened fire at a Colorado theater.

Michael Borboa, 26, was taken into custody on a charge of threatening and intimidating and disorderly conduct resulting in an evacuation of a building on Friday evening after he caused a disturbance at Cinemark 10 in the Mall at Sierra Vista during a screening of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises."

DocStone on Fri, 07/20/2012 - 10:08pm
Title: What?

Why does the SO have extra security because of what happened in CO? If it was
an organized event, it would have all gone off at the same time. Carol is
blowing smoke. Furthermore, what the hell with the statement: At the time of
the incident, the sheriff’s office was conducting a special detail at the
theater, responding to the mass shooting earlier in the day of an estimated
71 people at a midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” at a theater
in Aurora, Colo. - It was in CO, not SV. That sentence makes no sense.

kyb4725 on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 7:22am
Title: homless

solution to homeless get put in jail

Sumtingwong on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 8:55am

It is Carols job to blow smoke. The AZ Stat’s article said the border agents
tackled the suspect and the “deputy” removed him from the theather

jack on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 10:15am
Title: Security?

How did someone with a back pack be allowed in the theater in the first
 place?

Salty Dog on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 10:27am

The madness which happened to our Colorado neighbors and the lame behavior of
this local individual keep us wondering…what next?

Shaun on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 12:02pm
Title: Facts

He was not tackled, there were 3 concealed weapons in the theater. When this
guy entered the theater he was behaving awkwardly drawing my attention and
several others. Someone in the back above the ramp entrance to theater #3
shined a light on the individual and had a gun already drawn. This caused the
rush toward the door. Then 2 others with concealed weapons drew on the
individual and ordered him to raise his arms and drop to his knees. He did
not respond, the deputy arrived 1-2 minutes later, while the individual was
still being order to his knee and the 4 men got him to the groud and hand
cuffed him. CRAZY, was a good show to that point.

macnamara532 on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 1:59pm

I appreciate what the deputy and the off duty Border Patrol agents did, and
the same ones complaining, would be the first to start in on Sheriff and his
deputies if something would have happened, and no law enforcement had been
present. 911 did not happen in Sierra Vista either, but we sure took
precautions didn’t we?, once again, thank you Sheriff RDever, and US Border
Patrol off duty agents.

NLS on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 3:19pm

I really want to hear his reasons for this . It will be interesting to see
how crazy he is

oppressoliber on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 3:32pm
Title: Facts

Who had the 3 concealed firearms? I thought firearms were prohibited. Were
the firearms possessors also arrested?

oppressoliber on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 4:39pm
Title: Facts

Shaun, were you actually there or is this secondhand info?

Sumtingwong on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 5:39pm
Title: Right

Chances are second hand, vivid imagination, heresay, and hallucinations.

Sumtingwong on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 5:48pm
Title: Stay home

Some nut case shoots up a theater in Co, all of a sudden 9781 theaters in the
US are practically on lock down. Kinda like the shoe bomber, that made us
remove our shoes before boarding. I am patiently waiting for a bra bomber.

bn on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 7:28pm

Why would the three firearm possesors be arrested? Obviously from the content
of the article, the three posessors were the off duty BP Agents (plus the
Deputy, so its probably four posessors). They have DHS credentials to carry
firearms on or off duty anywhere in the country. Instead of asking why they
wern’t arrested, you should be saying “good job” or Thank You.

cms81586 on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 11:36pm
Title: Signs

“No Firearms” signs in AZ do not mean that firearms are prohibited. The
private establishment must ask you to remove the firearm from the premises
and you must refuse before being in violation of a law (with the exception of
buildings where carry is prohibited such as government buildings like a post
office or court house…or a K-12 school…where carry is prohibited in any
circumstance). Most people who carry ignore these signs (as do I). Concealed
means concealed. It does not matter if the individuals carrying were off duty
law enforcement or your average civilians, they were within the law carrying
at a movie theater, even if it was posted as “no carry”. Personally, I can’t
carry a police officer in a holster on my hip. Unfortunately most of what the
police do is react to an incident… which is why my wife and I carry and I
recommend it to every responsible adult. The life you save may be your own,
or that of dozens of people in a crowded theater as proven in Colorado.

cms81586 on Sat, 07/21/2012 - 11:44pm

It doesn’t matter if they were off duty BP agents, off duty Sheriff Deputies,
or legally armed civilians…you are withing your rights to carry in *most*
establishments even if they’re posted unless an employee or owner of that
establishment notices that you are carrying, asks you to leave, and you
refuse. Sign…what sign…it’s so small and I rarely look at the door when
entering an establishment. Say no to free-fire zones and protect yourself.
That’s what I do anyhow and it’s completely within the law. *Note…if you
decide to ignore “no firearms” signs…make sure you understand the law and
where you are/are not permitted to carry. Some places such as K-12 schools,
post offices, and government buildings are zero tolerance. Others, such as
private establishments where the owner just prints up a sign and scotch tapes
it to the door, hold no legal weight until they ask you to leave. If you
don’t leave, you are then in fact breaking the law (trespassing). Know the
 laws.

oppressoliber on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 7:02am

That would make sense, but the article didn’t say that. Guess we were to
assume that was the case. Good thing someone was there who was legally armed.

Mohawk001 on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 7:27am

Golly, so you say they get to break the law. The reality is, they are also
not allowed to carry in places that guns are banned. If you think they are
able to go into places that don’t want guns and tell the owners to go to
hell, then you are sadly mistaken and are willing to give up all your rights
to overlords.

Windsor on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 10:10am
Title: Well..

if those three off-duty agents were in the Aurora movie theater the other
night, James Holmes would have taken down after a few rounds. Remember the
Furr’s cafeteria years ago? Nutjob opened fire there and an off-duty federal
officer took him out. I bet no one complained about him. As a matter of fact,
it was quite the opposite. Agents are TRAINED in those situations and know
how to react. Mohawk, you think law enforcement are overlords? I would save
that title for this administration who is now dictating what you have to buy,
what you can’t buy, telling people what to do with their money. They are the
overlords, not those who are trying to protect people but are being told to
NOT do their job by this same admin.

Shaun on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 1:13pm
Title: I was there

3:10 (theater 3)start with my wife, had just finished my popcorn. We sat on
the side of the theater where the induvidual entered maybe 20 ft away.
Cinemark rewound the show to just after the football field blew up, and gave
us a comp movie pass. When the agent above the ramp drew and had a light on
this guy, you knew nothing was going to happen to anyone but the suspect.
However, I don’t know about the charges he is facing as all he did was stand
in the aisle with a back pac. Had Colorado not happened, I don’t think I
would have payed attention. I response to those comments about the agents
with their firearms, I who was there say: THANK GOD!! I thanked them
afterward. Had they been in Aurora, the story would have read “Of duty agent
stops movie attack”.

Shaun on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 1:25pm
Title: Sumtingwong

I did smoke a lefty and had two shots of scoth right before I went to the
show, NOT. Just got off work and took the wife out for date night. Loved the
Joker and Dark Knight, couldn’t wait for this to come out and was aware of
Aurora, but never thought anything would happen here. Thank God for 2nd
Amendment and AZ CCW, Thank God for Law Enforcement on or off duty. It is not
heresay when you watch something unfold wihtin 20ft of you.

Ran Talbott on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 5:06pm

“Why would the three firearm possesors be arrested?”

How ‘bout for “threatening and intimidating and disorderly conduct resulting
in an evacuation of a building”? According to the eyewitness account from
Shaun, the panic didn’t start until three un-uniformed strangers pulled out
their guns in the theater and started shouting orders.

And, of course, for “aggravated assault” for drawing their weapons on an
unarmed drunk.

Jeremy05 on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 5:29pm

@ Mohawk001 Border Patrol Agents can carry ANYWHERE! They even carry their
firearms on airplanes when they fly. Guess what!? Criminals also carry their
guns EVERYWHERE! They do not obey the law, so “gun free Zones” DO NOTHING!
Maybe someone should have told the shooter from CO that guns where not
allowed in the theater and maybe he would have left! Oh wait, he was a
criminal. It took the police how many minutes to respond to the movies? What
if the public was allowed to defend themselves in the theater, maybe things
would have ended differently. Go ahead and keep stripping the law abiding
citizens from the ability to defend themselves and creating criminal
empowerment zones. It seems to work out pretty well for the criminals!

Ran Talbott on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 2:27am

“Agents are TRAINED in those situations and know how to react”

Just a reminder: this is a story about three “TRAINED” agents who decided an
unarmed drunk was a “terrorist threat”, and started a panic in a crowded
 theater.

Who’s doing the training? Mr. Magoo?

Mohawk001 on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 8:46am

Golly, please show me where that’s so for the BP. I can show you that a
business for example can tell them to leave if they don’t want the weapons
brought in. So please stop with the outright LIES. And why are you going off
on me about criminals? Are you just so full of hatred that you’ll go off on a
tangent that had nothing to do with what I wrote? You have no clue about me
or how much I carry myself. I can see though that you hate guns. Yes, I can
say that as easily as you can say your bull. Stop with your protest of people
being willing to defend themselves. Stop with your campaign to keep guns away
from law abiding people. Now also please show where I did anything you claim
of me. Oh yeah, you can’t. You are just willing to LIE to see your words in
the paper.

Mohawk001 on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 8:50am

Trained? Now that is a laugh. Yeah, trianed to shoot a guy sitting on a porch
holding a water nozzle. Trained to beat a mentally handicapped guy to death
as he yells for his dad to help him. Trained to miss far more than they hit.
And I do mean far more misses than hits. Normally they can not account for
all their rounds. They are not trained to protect you, that is for sure. It’s
not their job to protect you. If you think it is, then you need to do some
reading. Their job is to enforce laws, not protect people.

Hereford Resident on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 9:34am

Ran are you that dumb? After the Aurora shooting people are pretty nervous.
It would not have mattered who trained these people to take the guy down
because there would have been panic no matter what. That is the nature of
people that are afraid. What if the drunk did start shooting up the theater?
I guess you would have the BP not do anything because it would have caused
 panic.

Hereford Resident on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 9:40am

Have you ever been to the theater at the mall? There is no security at the
exit doors. Anyone can come in when a crowd is leaving the theater. This
place here is too cheap to hire one person to man that door to make sure no
one comes in.

MyBella on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 11:59am

Every business had the legal right to ask BP and LE to secure their firearms
prior to entering the premises just as they do any civilian. LE only has the
ability to carry concealed without a permit and it’s generally reciprocal in
all 50 states regardless of the State Laws to carry. They can’t just carry
everywhere and anywhere and say they can because of a badge… They still
have to comply with the rights of private establishments.

Windsor on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 12:10pm
Title: LOL HR...

Did you really have to ask that question about Ran? We know the answer. His
posts just proved it. Let the ignorant be ignorant. The rest of us who know
the law and don’t rant and ramble about pretend scenarios know the truth. I
think some people have had problems themselves with law enforcement and don’t
think laws apply to them so they hate on law enforcement in general. The same
people are in every single article regarding law enforcement running them
down. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out WHY.

Mohawk001 on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 12:49pm

Are you against purses being brought in as well then? Or do you have a fear
of any backpacks is all there is to it? What other things are you afraid of?
Big pockets? Cargo pants? People who wear jackets that are in your mind too
bulky, because we know they couldn’t be colder than you?

Hereford Resident on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 3:00pm

Mybella I don’t think you know the CCW laws here in Arizona very well. Anyone
can carry a legal firearm concealed without a permit now. That should wake up
any criminals here just knowing that anyone can have a gun on them at
anytime. Also most LE’s do have a CCW permit anyways. Not that hard to get
 either.

Jeremy05 on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 5:50pm

Federal Agents can carry concealed everywhere without permission. They don’t
need it, no would they even bother to ask for it! They are exempt from ALL
pistol free zones, in ALL states. Besides the only time a Business owner
would know about an Agent carrying in their shop is if they had to use it!

Langer on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 7:42pm

It’s a good thing no shots were fired or the Border Patrol agents would have had to follow their new "Virtual Learning Center" training to run away and hide, then, if cornered, to throw things, and finally to call law enforcement and await their arrival.

On a different note, one businessman in Tucson has his business posted, encouraging all who enter to come armed.

Mohawk001 on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 8:41pm

A federal agent can be arrested if the refuse to leave a business while
carrying unless they are in that business as part of their duty. If you think
otherwise, then I wonder what other Constitutional rights you are willing to
give up. Being a federal agent does NOT give you the ability to ignore laws
and the rights of others. Also, if you can’t print half the CCW people then
you are blind.

Windsor on Tue, 07/24/2012 - 8:23am
Title: Langer,

that is the policy for some employees in DHS but law enforcement.
Misinformation, misconstrued.

Windsor on Tue, 07/24/2012 - 8:24am
Title: Jeremy...

No they can’t.

Hereford Resident on Tue, 07/24/2012 - 8:42am

Oh I agree Windsor but this guy takes moron to a whole new level. LOL

Langer on Tue, 07/24/2012 - 12:57pm

I suggest you speak with some Border Patrol agents because according to today’s statement on their own union local website, which links to another story that includes this incident, there has been no official clarification to the contrary and the agents continue to be required to take the training.  Because I’m neither a union member nor associated with the Border Patrol, I won’t link their union local website, but it’s quite easily found.

Ran Talbott on Wed, 07/25/2012 - 1:31am

“Ran are you that dumb?”

Why, no. But you’ve just demonstrated that you are. First for not recognizing
that U.S. cops make over 14000 arrests per day, including about 5000 for
violent crimes, 99.99% of which don’t result in public stampedes.

And then for not recognizing that the issue I raised was competence in threat
assessment, not competence in response.

“What if the drunk did start shooting up the theater?”

In that case, the CIA would have all criminal charges quashed, so they could
set him up in secret luxury, training their covert ops agents in how an
unarmed man can shoot up a theater, even when he’s so drunk he can’t stand up
 straight.

“I guess you would have the BP not do anything because it would have caused
 panic”

Of course you do: making stupid guesses is as automatic as breathing for you.

Hereford Resident on Wed, 07/25/2012 - 7:59am

Ran you just showed how ignorant you are again. How many of those 99.99% were
done just a day after a mass shooting inside a theater when something similar
happens in the same type of setting. You are just too dumb to see that. Every
situation is different and you go off on the BP thinking they caused the
panic. The one that caused the panic is the drunk in the theater not the BP.
You are the one that should be arrested for stealing oxygen because you are
an O2 thief.

Windsor on Wed, 07/25/2012 - 8:28am

I stand by what I said because it is the truth.

Windsor on Wed, 07/25/2012 - 8:30am
Title: Apparently

someone hasn’t heard of copycat acts. The panic was caused by the people who
were still anxious over the Colorado shooting. There is absolutely nothing
wrong with law enforcement being on high alert after an incident like this
because copycat incidents DO occur.

Langer on Wed, 07/25/2012 - 9:43pm

I looked at the National Border Patrol Council local’s website again just now
and there is still the same item that was posted yesterday. They maintain the
training continues and there has been “no official clarification.”

oppressoliber on Thu, 07/26/2012 - 6:10am
Title: Langer

What business are you referring to, Langer? That business should be
patronized, and complimented for recognizing our constitutional rights. Other
business should be encouraged to post similar signs.

Langer on Thu, 07/26/2012 - 10:24pm
Title: I wish I knew

I wish I knew the name of the business. The gentleman sometimes posts on the
Arizona Daily Star and had mentioned having his business posted. A friend
sent me a photo of the notice, very visibly stenciled on the glass door. It
starts, “Notice - Lawful carry encouraged on these premises,” then goes on to
cite the Second Amendment and says they encourage lawful carry.

Special forces?

Langer on Fri, 07/27/2012 - 4:24pm
Title: Full quote

Because I didn’t want to steal anyone’s quote, I didn’t include the entire contents of the sign on the door. Today, though, I found the entire quote, available in three sizes, as a handbill download. It’s near the top of this page and has a green circle on it.

While I don’t like all the cutsie elements that chase me around the pages, the content on the site is good.  Check out the Alerts Archive.